20100208

When duty calls

I told Matariki. She noted it was complicated, but thought I looked happy.

I am happy.

I talked about maybe showing Carinelle Paiho.

She asked me what I thought the clan would think. Would it interfere with the clan trying to marry me off?

It's not like there's been a line of people asking after me.

Oh, didn't you know? The Cuthill clan put an offer in for you last year. They want an alliance, and having a rich influential pod-pilot in their clan would be good too.

What? Nobody mentioned it to me!

Of course not, it wasn't a good enough offer.

Carinelle and I. It's complicated isn't it. I'm the bit on the side. Entertainment. She feels for me I think, but it's not something I can seriously claim is likely to produce children, or an alliance with another clan.

The Cuthill clan. I can't even remember where their lands are without looking it up. I would have had to move there, at least for a while. Get to know the clan; father at least one child; and use my influence for them outside the clan. They would have some claim on my isk, but then Atamahara does that now. No wonder the offer wasn't good enough. They probably still don't know exactly how much a pod pilot can make.

I wonder if I've even met the woman they wanted to marry me to?

Some clans, they have the woman go to the clans they marry in to. Atamahara sends the men away. It's alright for Matariki, even if she gets married, Paiho will still be her home.

I should have known this would happen some day, but I feel strangely disturbed by it. What if the next offer is better? What if the Aunties say yes? Would I have to give up Carinelle?

No comments:

Post a Comment