20100605

Like we were never apart

Finally got to catch up with Carinelle. It was ... good. Very good.

She'd just been part of the EM team in the Alliance tournament. Her job was to be annoying enough for the enemy to waste time swatting her. She succeeded, but that meant that she got popped first. Her little ECM frigate, with two friends, meant that the enemy wasted time killing them that our side was using to pop their logistics ship. Everyone did their job. We won.

So it was a mix of joy and pain that she bore when she walked into the SA. A lot of pilots were gathered to watch the match, and there were celebrations all round. She didn't look entirely comfortable though.

I hadn't seen her in a month. A brief embrace wasn't enough. We hung around for a few minutes then made our escape.

Oh, it was so good to hold her; to feel her in my arms. I like the way she relaxes when I hold her.

She asked about the gathering, and told me about her life while I'd been gone.

I told her about Aradian. I wasn't sure how she'd take it, but she looked at me with this amused smile and said she thought it was sweet.

What did I expect? I'm not sure. Did I want more of a reaction? Actually, no. It feels .... nice, reassuring even, that she has enough confidence in me that she doesn't believe Aradian is a threat to her. That maybe what we have is stronger than that. I'm not really in a hurry to try again though.

I told her about Auntie Gytha and she asked what Gytha was like. How much of what I see as Auntie Gytha is really her, and how much is the memories of a child looking up at the laughing woman. Auntie Gytha's had a lot of boyfriends; Auntie Gytha has a wicked sense of humour; Auntie Gytha soothes the broken hearts of teenagers in turns by sympathy and teasing. Auntie Gytha who provided the gift I presented to Carinelle...

I have a feeling Carinelle will enjoy meeting her.

No comments:

Post a Comment