20100813

Sowing the seeds of Love

It's been a busy time. I managed to get away for four days to Paiho. Mata was there, with Gottii. I think he's paying court. He played with the children, letting some of them win in the rifle shooting, helping in the kitchen.

It's quite common for young men to stay with the clan for a season or two while they're courting. Helping out and getting to know the clan, and letting the clan get to know them. The pattern looks the same, but I'm not sure it fits for a pod pilot.

Gottii and Mata slept in the hall, even though she has her own lodge. it was built by the clan and Jonny. Maybe it's wise not to assume Gottii will take that role before the clan is happy with it.

I asked Carinelle if she wanted to visit, and she said yes. She only had a day and a night at Paiho. I tried to show her what it was like. I introduced her to the clan formally, and the Aunties had tea with her.

Later she said that they were asking about her intentions. Or perhaps what she thought my intentions were. She told them she was getting to know me, that she was wary of the cultural differences, so taking it slowly. But that maybe, maybe she'd be together with me for life.

I grinned like a fool for half an hour after she told me.

Sleeping in the hall was a bit odd for her I think - sharing a room with dozens of other people. I suspect she's had her own room since she was very small. She put up with it well, and Gottii doesn't even snore!

Nelle's on holiday now, visiting her parents in the Federation, on a planet. She's invited me to meet them when they return to the station, to meet her parents and do dinner, then maybe a play, or the ballet.

The Ballet. That can't be worse than walking into a hall full of your boyfriend's clan and being interrogated by his Aunties, can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment